Part of the Career Collective series. Please see end of this post for details and links.
Aye! Ye can relax, sit back in a beach chair, and worry about job searching in September…Blimey! Are ye serious, matey? This is the perfect time to launch a “treasure (job) hunt.”
With map in hand, set sail into the hidden job course. It’s not that grueling. It’s worth the effort. It’s not as if me sending ye to Davy Jones’ locker!
Map to Lead You to Job Openings Not Yet Released From the HR Chest
- Research and identify companies in your target territory that would benefit from the differentiating value you offer. Peruse the company website and call them to gain a contact. You can try and locate a company contact via LinkedIn or Twitter as well.
- Have your 30-second pitch ready. Focus on the value you will bring to them.
- Offer to provide them with your LinkedIn URL for immediate access/connection.
- Track the companies you’ve called; whom you spoke to. You can do so in MS Excel or better yet, with the Jibber Jobber Career Management tool.
- Network! Always carry networking cards.
- Create a broadcast letter, which is a great job search tool with the intention of soliciting non-advertised job openings.
- Don’t underestimate the good old-fashioned way of door-to-door soliciting. Of course, with your broadcast letter in hand.
While all the other job seekers think hiring is slow during the summer–you will be on a treasure hunt, which will lead you to hidden, unadvertised careers. And, sail ho! The other job seekers will prefer to ‘walk the plank’ come September.
As always, if I can be of any assistance firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosa Elizabeth Vargas
Master Resume Writer
More tips to help you heat up your Job search this summer by the Career Collective members. Follow our hash tag on Twitter #careercollective
Post by the Career Collective Experts
Turn Off The Computer, Tune Into What’s Happening, & Heat Up the Job Search, @chandlee
Heating up the Job Search-How to Stay Motivated During the Summer, @erinkennedycprw
Light the Fire Under Your Feet, @careersherpa
Cool Job Seekers Heat Up Their Search in the Summer, @barbarasafani
Some assembly required, @DawnBugni
Summertime, Sluggish Economy Provide Strong Motivation for an Updated Resume, @KatCareerGal
9 Ways to Heat Up Your Job Search This Summer, @heatherhuhman
Getting Out From Under Chronic, @WorkWithIllness
Upping Your Job Search Flame; Be ‘Needed, Not Needy,‘ @ValueIntoWords
Is Your Career Trapped in the Matrix?@WalterAkana
Put some sizzle in your job hunt – how to find a job now, @keppie_careers
Summertime – and the Job Search Ain’t Easy, @KCCareerCoach
Heating up your job search. 5 ways to dismiss those winter blues, @GayleHoward
Hot Tips for a Summer Job Search, @MartinBuckland @EliteResumes
Heat Up Your Job Search: Avoid Job Boards, @JobHuntOrg
4 Replies to “Treasure Hunt—Yo-ho-ho! Heat Up Your Job Search”
Great Summer summary applicable all year long, Rosa! Excellent post!
Rosa, I loved the pirate voice and treasure map analogy. You point out some overlooked steps, such as having a networking card and door to door canvasing. Leave no stone unturned!
Glad to be part of career collective with you!
I think that now a LinkedIn profile is a must if you want to be a professional in some field. Also a twitter account can show your professionalism.
Don’t limit your job searching to the top. Check the smaller niche sites that focus on a particular geographic location or career field and you will find plenty of job listings.